Sunday, March 13, 2011

Reflection on Poetry

Hello, and welcome to my blog post about what I learn in Language A. Here is what we were talking about in class...
  1. What is poetry?
    1. Poetry is defined in many different ways. Here are some of the definitions by great writers; "Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words." This is what Robert Frost wrote. Also, ""Poetry is the revelation of a feeling that the poet believes to be interior and personal which the reader recognizes as his own." was said by Salvatore Quasimodo. I think poetry is when someone, usually the writer, expresses his feelings and emotions towards a certain thing. There are also silly poems, that don't really have a meaning, but always have something hidden deep inside!
  2. Poetic Devices?
    1. There are many poetic devices. Poetic devices are the way that you write your poem. For example, alliteration is when you repeat the first letter of the word used for usually two or three beginning's after it. You didn't understand that, well her is an example; big beautiful brown eyes. There is also metaphor, which is when you compare a thing (person usually) to something natural (nature). I am a rose is a very good example. Simile is a comparison between two objects, usually you say 'as a' or 'like a'. I am as beautiful as a rose is another good example! :) In my poem, as you will see below, I used rhythm (when the poem becomes kind of a song), rhyme (at the end of each sentence the words sound the same; bear and hair), simile (explanation above), and personification (when you describe something not human like if it were human; the trees waved gently to me)! I hope you will find them below...
  3. Explain your poem.
    1. My poem is called a month poem, and that means that I wrote a couplet for each month describing how I feel, what I see, hear, touch and smell that particular month. Below I'll attach a link to my poem where I made a power point presentation with lots of animations and sounds. The sounds are not automatic, so make sure to press the sound button because it is not automatic...
  4. Here is my poem, I hope you enjoy and make sure to look for the poetic devices.. :)














    No comments:

    Post a Comment